Wills and Probate

Working with you


Writing a Will is important to be sure what will happen to the property and assets after your death and to appoint guardians for your children if you die before they reach the age of 18.

New legislation now provides that if someone who is married dies without a Will, leaving no children or descendants, their estate will automatically pass to their spouse or civil partner. However, if you are unmarried but living with your partner, your partner will certainly not automatically inherit.

You can ensure peace of mind for you and your family if you prepare a Will and keep it up to date. We can help you with what you need to consider for your Will and the best way to express this.

We have particular expertise in acting for individuals with significant personal and or business assets and drafting bespoke, often highly complex, trust and tax planning arrangements. Further information can be found on our Trusts, Tax and UK Tax for International Clients pages.

Administration of Estates and Probate

We know how difficult it can be to deal with the death of a loved one. We will help you through the process of administering the estate, with experience and sensitivity. You may need to apply for a grant of probate (if there is a Will) or a Administration (if there is no Will), but this is not always required. We will talk through the process with you and you can do as much or as little as you wish towards the work involved. We can tailor this to your requirements.

We have particular expertise in acting in the administration of complex, high value estates including those involving international assets.  

Specialist advice

We advise our clients on a full range of wills and probate services including:

  • drafting simple and complex Wills including Wills for second marriages, asset protection Wills, Wills with trusts
  • advising on Inheritance tax planning
  • administering and winding up the estate
  • post death tax planning/Deeds of Variation
  • ensuring that reliefs from Inheritance Tax are applied (including Business and Agricultural property relief)
  • dealing with foreign assets left abroad and international probate issues
  • setting up trusts arising from the Will
  • disputes and claims against the estate - Disputed Wills and Probate

Related news / blog articles